I have been writing a series of articles for a magazine called ‘Archive’ that deal with various aspects of how sound data in digital form can be examined, created, manipulated, etc. The following pages are based on those articles.
Archive is a magazine for people who use computers running the RISC OS operating system, and is primarily a magazine about computer use. The articles are accompanied by various ‘applications’ (programmes) which were provided partly to illustrate points discussed in the articles, and partly for use by readers. You are welcome to make use of the applications. But PLEASE NOTE: These applications will NOT WORK on other operating systems. To run them you need either to use a computer that runs RISC OS, or to use some form of emulator. The applications all work on an Iyonix running RISC OS 5.xx, and should work on any other reasonably up-to-date RO machine. But I make the usual disclaimers that you use the applications provided at your own risk. The relevant applications are provided below in the form of zip (compressed) files to download.
Even if you are unable to use the applications, you may find the articles of some interest if you wish to know more about the details of manipulating sound data in digital formats.
The series began some years ago, but there was a long break in between articles 3 and 4. For that reason the main points in articles 1 - 3 were covered again later in the series. I have therefore omitted the initial articles here.
- Article 4 - TrackMaker and chopping long tracks into shorter sections.
(Click here for the TrackMaker application 8k zip)
- Article 5 - Examining Sound Files.
(Click here for the TrackStats and TrackTrans applications 24k zip)
- Article 6 - Pump up the Volume!
(Click here for the TrackGain application 13k zip.)
- Article 7 - Filtering and DSP.
(Click here for the TrackNotch application 19k zip.)
- Article 8 - Surprises and Whispers.
- Article 9 - Off the Record.
- Article 10 - Understanding Distortion.
(Click here for the TrackTHD application 20k zip.)
- Article 11 - Generating Sound Files.
(Click here for the TrackGen application 20k zip.)
- Article 12 - Having a Bad Time!
- Article 13 - Resampling.
- Article 14 - Resampling Revisited
- Article 15 - What's on LP?
(Click here for the TrackLPvax application 12k zip.)
- Article 16 - Fast Transformations
(Click here for the TrackFFT application 12k zip.)
- Article 17 - Better on Average
(Click here for the TrackFFTScan application 25k zip.)
- Article 18 - Noise Abatement
- Article 19 - Some Random Results!
- Article 20 - Sustained Changes?
(Click here for the zip with new TrackFFT32k/8k and TrackGen applications 48k zip.)
- Article 21 - MP3 Conversion
- Article 22 - Measuring the in-room audio response.
(Click here for the zip with the StepGen and TrackSteps 25k zip.)